Follow PublicUniverse on Twitter

Snow day DIY Lapdesk project

It's -10 outside, and school was cancelled. That left me with lots of time to work on whatever it is that I work on. After a while, the desk and chair get uncomfortable, and I'm considering a switch to the overstuffed couch, or even the movie theater seats I picked up at an auction, and bolted to the floor of the cave. Once I made the change, I realized a need for my lapdeck, the one my daughter took to college. Books didn't work out, so I had to buy one, or build one. About 8 years ago, I replaced carpet with laminate flooring, and had plenty left over. It's light, and durable, and not too unattractive. I cut the board into 19" sections, and applied glue. This joint is probably a weak point, but I'll get back to you on that.


I didn't have bead bag pillows, or a foam pad/pillow to attach to the bottom (the material of my choice), but I did have foam pipe insulation. Pipe insulation is cheap, costing around $1.50 for 6'. I cut the pipe insulation into 18" segments

I could have spent more time trying to make the pipe insulation perfect, but why?

The final product is fully functional, and cost about $4 and 20 minutes of time to make 2.
My next production of lap desks will be made from whiteboard material. It will be suitable for multitasking. Maybe I'll also make it from ballistic materials. Parents and schools would eat that up.


No comments:

Post a Comment